Monday, January 12, 2009

London!

Many of you know that Trev, Luke and I had the wonderful opportunity of travelling to England for Christmas. (I'm getting to my Christmas post, I promise!) Anyway, a few days before Christmas, my mum and John offered to take us to London for the day, along with my sister Sophie. I've been to London quite a few times before, but never as a 'tourist'! It was actually very fun to go round taking pictures of all the buildings and landmarks. They really are beautiful and historic and I should have taken more notice of them in the past.



Here's us in front of Big Ben (the clock tower), which adjoins the Houses of Parliament.



Us on a bridge spanning the Thames river (the main river upon which London is built) In the background you can see the London Eye, which is a very tall ferris wheel type ride. I think it's about 450 ft tall, and is designed for the purpose of observing London.

We were treated to a ride on it, by mum and John (thanks!). They looked after Luke while we had a 30 minute date :-) Each capsule holds up to 32 people, but we had just 4 in ours. Lucky!



Trev got double rides that day, as a pursuaded him that it was time for Luke to have his first carousel ride...



After hours of walking around, and navigating the London underground train system, we were ready to sit down and relax (while mum, John and Sophie continued shopping- I have to admire their stamina!) We all decided to go to Harrods, a massive, upmarket department store. After studying the map of its 5 floors, Trev and I selected a family friendly cafe, and went for a bite to eat. We quicky discovered, however, that the prices were a little higher than anticipated, so we bought a couple of fruit smoothies instead!



Altogether we had a brilliant day, and created some more lovely memories. That is what we were hoping for in our trip to England.

3 comments:

Debs said...

Looks like you had a great day and braved the freezing cold weather we were having! I haven't been to London for ages, and I think I too would appreciate its historic beauty more now x

Hayley said...

Looks like a fun day! We've been down to London so much these last few years with Josh working there and living there this summer - I don't think I realised how beauitful of a city it is until recently. You always have more to see and do, not matter how many times you visit! xx

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Ohhh! I didn't know you did that! How awesome, what a fun trip! London is definitely on my must-see list of places I *have* to go in my lifetime!