Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How it happened

So, I thought it might be time to share a little more of my 'birth story'. To be honest, there isn't really much to tell, but never mind. I'm not sure if it's the same for every mum out there, but in the weeks after delivery, I keep playing it over and over in my mind. It feels good to talk or write about it.

Okay, where to begin? Lainey was born on a Friday. The Wednesday just before, I had my regular doctor appointment (39 weeks) and he stated that I was about 2.5 cm dilated, and that he would be happy to induce me on Saturday if I liked. I agreed, but we didn't arrange a time. He told me to call the office on Friday and set it up. I was a bit scared of being induced, and decided to spend the next couple of days doing things that might help it all along.

On Thursday morning, Luke and I went for a nice long walk! I still had a few things to do around the house, so I did those. We went out for dinner as a family, I think we knew it would be the last time for a while. All through this (and the several days previous) I was having irregular and far apart Braxton-Hicks, but nothing at all painful.

We went to bed at about midnight, and around 1am I woke up with a painful contraction. A short time later, another one. Then another. I got up to go and find my watch so I could time them. In the kitchen, my water broke! It was time to go to the hospital! We called our wonderful neighbours and asked them to come up and sleep up here so we could leave Luke in bed. We're so grateful that they came and helped us out.

At the hospital, whilst checking in, the contractions started to get worse, but they still weren't all that bad. They put me in a room and a few minutes later they checked on me and said I was about 6cm dilated. I got my IV line put in and hooked up to the monitors. The next part is kind of a blur. I think they checked me again a few minutes later and said I was about 8cm. And then, it's almost like no time passed, before the doctor was there, saying I was ready. All at once, I needed to push, and they told me not to, because they weren't quite ready yet. Luckily I didn't have to wait long, and two pushes later, Lainey was born.

I feel really lucky to have had such a smooth experience. Both of my babies have been born without pain-relief drugs, and I have to say, it was a lot easier this time around! Lainey came out looking perfect and sweet (I sort of thought she looked like a little gnome at first...) Trev was able to get home before Luke woke up, which was a blessing.

Thanks to all the nurses and doctors who helped in the hospital, we were really pleased with the whole thing! And we love our new little family member :-)

4 comments:

Helen said...

Wow - what a birth experience.. so different to mine. I definitely replay my births all the time in my head. What was your first like?

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh I love birth stories!!! So neat, she is such a little blessing!

Janalee said...

hey your story makes child labor sound so easy! I wish mine was that easy!

Emily said...

Hi Sian, thought I'd come and check out your family blog after you left a message on mine. Will definatly be checking in often now, it's so great to have blogging friends, it hasn't caught on yet too much here in England. Your birth story brings back all to vivid memories! Are you enjoying being a mummy to two? I'm loving 3, though it's really hard work.
Have a great day, Emily x