Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sad



This summer, we were really thrilled to have a pair of house finches nesting on our balcony. It seemed to take them a long time to intricately build the little nest. I tried to keep Luke inside at the times that I saw that they were busy. I was SO excited- having been a member of the YOC (Young Ornothologist Club- I know...geeky!)) as a child, I have always had a love of birds. Have you ever looked closely at a bird's nest? They are amazing, carefully constructed from grass, twigs, and other debris.




Imagine my delight when I noticed one morning that there was a little blue egg in there! I increased my efforts to keep the balcony quiet and undisturbed. We waited and waited for the egg to hatch. Finally, it did. I could tell something was going on because the daddy bird came back, and stood watching. I became a little concerned, though, when I never really saw the parents bring food to the baby. Weren't they supposed to be out gathering worms or other food and dropping it in the open mouth of the little one?


So I went out to have a look. This is what had happened :-(



So it didn't turn out very well in the end, but I'm glad we got to witness the whole process.

No comments: