Tuesday, October 20, 2009

bonkers about conkers!


Have you ever collected conkers? Or better still, had a conker fight? Conkers are the fruit of a horse-chestnut tree, and are one of my favourite autumn traditions.

We always used to go gathering them with dad. He would throw sticks to knock them out of the tree, and the kids would gather them up. Apparently nobody does this in America, because the tree I went to had hundreds of conkers, already open, on the ground! So I didn't even have to lift a finger- Luke did all the work (and loved every minute of it)

I really want to have a fight, but I keep getting my needle stuck in the conker, so I haven't got it threaded yet. But until I do, I can enjoy the sight of these shiny beauties in my home, reminding me of my childhood.
On another note...here's the apron I made for my Trev's mom for her birthday. Not a great photo, I know.


And finally, just because I can't resist. And who could resist those cheeks?!


The dress turned out ten times better than expected. If only she'd keep the headband on...

5 comments:

Hayley said...

You are so talented! I'm jealous! I can't believe how much Lainey is growing up! I thought she looked just like her Dad and now I'm not sure - I think she's turning into a Watts! xx

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

WAY cute dress you made for Lainey! I love it! You really are so talented!

Debs said...

Yay - we love collecting conkers too!! Gorgeous dress - you should open a shop like your mum!

Becky said...

Sian... what exactly is a conker? I've never heard of it... and how do you fight with them?

Becky said...

lol... ok, I followed the links and now know what a conker is and how to fight with them. It would be interesting to watch though! Also, where do you find conkers around here?