Thursday, October 15, 2009

She is a girl, after all...

I've started to get so excited about dressing Lainey up. I'm sure you've been looking at my pictures of her and thinking 'why does Sian dress her so plain?' or 'Why does it seem like she's always dressed as a boy?' I think it's taken a while for me to realize that you can really have fun with a girl, and there are so many cute clothes and fabrics out there. Like this funky fabric that I found on clearance a while ago. I think it was under 2 dollars for about 3/4 yard.

I decided to make a dress, since that's what Lainey is lacking at the moment.


And then I made a matching hairclip, to go on her headband. I love how the clip turned out! It really echoes the pattern on the fabric. I found out how to make the flowers using this tutorial.



The pattern is Simplicity 4243. It was quite easy to make, the trickiest bit was applying the binding to the armholes. Apart from that it was simple. I have another one of these dresses cut out and ready to go, in a different fabric.
Girls really are fun!

2 comments:

Jed and Kera said...

Oh Sian how I wish I could go back and learn how to sew from you! I wish I wouldn't have been so sick all the time! You are fantastic! I totally forgot about your craft/sewing blog... I used to check it out often and then forgot all about it!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

wow super adorable! i love the matching flower too!